Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Saturday, June 26, 2010

DOWN BY THE RIVER...DOWN ON THE CORNER...

The river is still rising and holding at our sandbags. We have some leaks, but not major.

One concern we have is the water is soaking into the earth and moving toward the house. It is soaked. I dug down about 75 feet from the river's edge and it is soggy. So, somewhere that water has to go. When it soaks in, it sometimes collapses off the banks. Here are some pics from the first part of the flood and comparing only the road washed area today. I will have new pics later. The storm is coming and I hear thunder. I feel a little rain. It looks like Tornado whether, especially to the east.

Not so swell. Actually, it is swell. Swelling up the river.

Ahoy, mateys!


River View in City. Normally runs about 1/2 this speed and size at this point in the river.


Last week. Now you can't see the sidewalk and it's moved about 150 farther and deeper.


Our road. One week ago.


Road today. It falls in a little each day.


My lovely friends. About 40-50 come every year to enjoy our little oasis. They are enjoying the flood.


This pic was taken one week ago. Normally, all the foreground is a deep dry ravine. All full. Today all this is under water. The river has come up about 1.5 feet since this was taken.


Normally this edge of the river is a 15 foot drop off the edge to the water, straight down. So that shows how high it really is flowing.


I can't capture the entire width of the river. To the left, it still is flowing over our island and goes another 175 feet. One corner of the river on our property is 24 feet deep at the fall flow. Which is when wade fishing is great. That spot now is over 40 feet deep. This corner is running fast, has many eddies and whirlpools, and is over 24 feet deep when it is normally 3 feet.


Storm coming. Water goes all the way to those cliffs with just a few willows poking through.

Glendo, Wyoming. This is where the MIGHTY river ends up and is being held because Nebraska can't handle all that water at once. Weenies. I have never seen the water at this point in the 35 years I have lived in Wyoming.

Although these pics are a few days old with the exception of two...the road update and the house, the river rises daily little by little. The Bureau said the scary waiting part should be over next week. I think we might be OK. As for town and downriver, and Glendo. They are flooding much worse than these pics. Many people are suffering water damage not from overflow, but from ground seeping into their basements in the city.

Since we are normally high above the river except a couple low spots and we have one creek running into the river above us and one by the house...I think we will be OK. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers and finger and toe crossing. I think you saved us. The power of prayer.

22 comments:

Daisygirl said...

holy water! Crap! We actually had a really bad flood like this last summer in Sedona...it was horrible!

I am happy to hear you and your fam are alright! Did you build an ark?

Ps. I left an award for you on my blog!

In3Dee said...

good lordy! That's a lotta watah! I hope the sandbags continue to help keep it at bay, and the waters go down soon.

This reminds me of the Johnny Cash Song....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyZD7eoHZT8

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
As a former resident of Louisiana, I do know the power of water. I am so glad that things are starting to do better and I hope the weather sets back a little--today--and for weeks--to help everyone dry out.

The effects of floods do last longer than the flood itself, and I won't stop 'crossing my toes' and sending wishes on wings.

Stay safe! And bless you and all those holding the fort for the Nebraska weenies.
Sincerely,
Ann T.

Coffeypot said...

You sure do post a lot when I'm not around. Slow down or I'll give you a ticket (see my post today - thought of you and CI Dude. Had to post it)

Pulling for you with your war with Mother Nature, too!

Paxford said...

Sending hugs & prayers.
And remember if it all goes to heck - it's women & children &
frogs first!

Stay safe Momma

Pax

Ms. Anthropy said...

These photos help to put it in perspective and that perspective is downright scary! Especially the one of the road being eaten away. I'm still praying and keeping things crossed. (hope my eyes don't stay that way)

Tree said...

Wow, wow, wow!! That's ALOT of water!! I can't believe the road is just falling apart like that. Stay safe, girl!!

Crazy Brunette said...

The picture of the road freaks me out dude!!!

How does it just... you know... do that? Like break off???

You're just going to have to move to KS. It's been decided. See you in the AM!

GunDiva said...

That's an awful lot of water for Wyoming. I'd've thought by now you'd be receding. Luckily, the rivers here are not as fast and swift as they were last week.

Ca88andra said...

Those waves look more like the ocean! It must be scary just having to sit back and wait. I hope there is no major flooding around you.

The Queen said...

I am so sorry.. but so happy that your sandbags are holding... know what ya mean about the banks breaking off when they get too water soaked.. hang in there..

Jackie said...

WOW those pictures are crazy! Keeping my fingers crossed that the river hits it's peak and starts falling sooner rather than later!

And Eek! that road!

*big squishes*

xx
Jaxs

Tree said...

Hello my love.....I'm back "bearing gifts." LOL I have an award for you on my blog today. :)

AN AWARD FOR YOU!

-K said...

Wow, those are some fantastic photos lovely lady!

aLmYbNeNr said...

I'm glad you guys will be okay. I hope everyone else will be too.

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
Looks like you got it both ways..the beauty WITH the devastation...
(keep the canoe handy, just in case)

Hope all stays well with yo & yours out there.
DO Stay safe

Jessica said...

Oh hon, I'm feelin it for you :/
Scary stuff seeing those clouds on the horizon .. and WTH are those people doing in that boat out there?!

I've been worried about you guys all week. I'll keep the good juju headed your way, and send a little sun. Lord knows we have enough of it here.

Bethany said...

WOW... SO glad you're ok!

Tennessee Grammie said...

The pics give us a better idea of what we've been praying about! Those "diamonds in their natural state" (sand bags) are priceless and y'all have done a heroic job of keeping all that H2O at bay.

Hang in there darlings, our hearts and prayers are hanging in there with you! Love you all.

Meeko Fabulous said...

I'm glad you guys are doing ok. Hopefully the river goes down soon.

peedee said...

WOW! Stupid question which you might have mentioned and I missed.....Is this like a 100 year flood??

peedee said...

WOW! Stupid question that you might have answered before....is this like a 100 year flood??