Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Confessions of a Suicidal Policewoman

When they call my name in the airport it usually isn't to tell me that I got a free flight and moved to first class. It's a bump, cancellation, or standby.

When I went to the counter with my book in hand, I smiled apprehensively at the airline employee. She looked at my book, looked up at me, looked at my book...then smiled weakly and asked, "Officer Fargo, you aren't carrying today on the flight, are you?"

I'm forever plagued since 2004 when I carried my bullet proof vest and firearm on the plane for a homicide case I was working which took me across the United States and back. Of course, I had been screened and approved. That one day...made me flagged forever. My luggage gets torn apart and tagged. I get body searched.

I politely told her I was not carrying on the plane this day. Relief spread across her face. If you can't trust a cop, who can you trust? What was the big deal? Was it the book?


It was the same look I got when I whipped out my book to read while guarding a prisoner at the hospital while he lay there after surgery not long ago. Officer Friday gave me a double take. The nurses asked me if I needed to check myself in for an evaluation and commented my job must be getting the best of me after 15 years. We all chuckled. Then, I held up the book and told them it was a great read and they should pick one up on Amazon. Curiosity killed them, of course, and they perused the book. I share like that. That's what good books are for...sharing and enjoying. This book was a page turner.

I think I'm developing a crush on Michael Beckett.

It's true.

Thomas Fitzsimmon's Confessions of a Suicidal Policewoman is jam packed with action, twists and turns, and mystery. Michael Beckett is back for another drama to unfold and someone has to wear his handcuffs. Murder. Drugs. Not only is it a dynamic police investigation which keeps your attention, it's better than the first in the series. Fitzsimmon's takes you on a gamutt of police work leading to an ending which will surprise you.

Not your typical finish.

Beckett continues his fight against evil, tangled with his affection for women, and being taunted with offers of police corruption.Yet, Beckett is good. It's like being at the kegger parties in high school and the joint gets passed to you, but you pass because you don't do drugs. Do you turn in your friends, or do you ignore the illegal activity? Or something like that. Beckett's ethics prevail against temptations as he continues to follow the leads to solving high crimes.

His partner was deceased. Perhaps there was a new girl in town.

Not only is it a great police story, it parallels reality. Ethics. Professionalism. Investigation. Mystery. His cop attitude. His attraction to the wrong women-because it isn't me. The bond of the brotherhood. Corruption. Affection for your partner. Putting the bad guys in jail.  Basically, it's good old-fashioned cop work with the insides turned out.

Thomas Fitzsimmons gets better and better. His colorful descriptions take you to the moment to experience the smells, the sites, the road to fighting crime and getting the bad guy.

You can't put it down.

Even if you are in a blue uniform with a shiny brooch pin in a hospital holding a book titled, Confessions of a Suicidal Policewoman, or at the airport getting ready to board your flight engrossed in the pages.

I like Michael Beckett best on my sofa with a class of red wine next to my fireplace.

******************************************************
The more I know about Thomas Fitzsimmons, the more I like him. Plus, he wears a "white hat" and rides a great horse into the sunset. He's just like that only more fantastic. Maybe you would be surprised to know he also drinks 6 cups of coffee in the morning which is almost equal to my pot of coffee, gets on the computer, writes, and answers emails. He has an identical twin brother, (a retired cop) which he says they are very close. I wonder if he ever switches his brother for himself on his jobs to get a vacation? Nah, he's too professional for that.

He answered my questions this morning...

MF:  Your life has gone from cop to celebrity status over the years. Were there times you ever missed being a cop or wanted to go back into the uniform and why or why not?

TF:  No. I’ve never missed being “in the bag.” The reasons: I still do police work of sorts. When I’m not writing, I’m a private investigator and bodyguard. Plus I still socialize almost exclusively with cops; they’re the only people who understand me and who I trust. (If I get drunk I’ll even hang out with a firefighter or two J) Also, I hire many of the guys I worked with on the NYPD, as well as many young, active duty cops. So I feel like I’m still in the mix.

MF:   What's sitting on your coffee table right now?

TF:    The New York Times Book Review. Although, since they’ve conned me several times with great reviews of lousy, unreadable books, why I continue to read it is beyond me. 

MF:   Out of all the accomplishments in your life, what are you most proud of and why?

TF:  For obvious reasons, staying sober on St. Patrick’s Day—well, sort of.  

MF: Do you believe in the age old belief that good will prevail over evil, or will it be a battle that continues but never won? What do you see in law enforcement now that has changed for the good and what has declined?

TF: I believe in the old adage: All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Which is why I became a cop; to do something. And there was no greater pleasure then catching some SOB in the act of committing an armed robbery, or felonious assault on a female or child, and being in the position to “take care of business.”

However evil will always be with us. And so the battle will continue. I don’t think much has changed systemically, in the NYPD over the years, although the young cops would most probably dispute that. They idolized the “gun slingers” I worked with in the old days and think we operated unsupervised; which we didn’t. But cops will always be cops. And the powers that be will always cut slack to the guys like me who worked the really high crime areas.

The only thing I think has a negative effect is the film and TV industries insistence on showing the bad guys disrespecting the police. In real life you disrespect a cop and, well, your day will most probably take a turn for the worse.  

MF: What do you do for fun? 

TF:  My work is my fun. How cool is that? There’s nothing in the world I’d rather do then work on a book, or pick up a juicy criminal investigation, or spend time with my bosses, Michael Douglas & Catherine Zeta Jones.  

9 comments:

Allenspark Lodge said...

I like carrying around a copy of "The Shining" here at the lodge in the winter...

Bill

MONICA-LnP said...

awesome! I will for sure look for this book on my Nook!

Ms. A said...

What a job!

*Laughing at Bill... again!

Momma Fargo said...

Thanks to Thomas Fitzsimmons for sending me Confessions of a Suicidal Policewoman! Fun and exciting read! Love crime stories!

Deb said...

Sweet. Ordering right now...love finding new books to read!

Deb said...

Sweet. Off to order from amazon. Thanks

Mad Mind said...

Don't be scaring the poor little flight attendants and ticket takers. LOL!

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
That was a great exchange with "Fitz".
I LOVE the accomplishment line..."being SOBER on St. Patrick's Day...sort of".

Hell, for an Irish cop, that's not an accomplishment...that's a bloody EPIPHANY (or at least a small miracle)...LOL.
Thank you St. Michael!!!

Great post.

Roll safe out there.

The Grumpy Dispatcher said...

Added to the reading list. Thanks for that.