Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...



Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Farewell Magnum Force

It doesn't really become final until you hear the gunshot. I flinched.

It wasn't the first time I had to say goodbye to an animal that was part of my life for so long.

How does the guilt and sadness pass when you put down one of your pets of 17 years? The tears come and go at inopportune moments. Guilt passes, then floods back.

Somehow I don't feel like it was his time, that maybe I pushed the issue.

My friend was kind enough to do it for me and he had hunted with Magnum in the past years, so it was hard for him as well. His wife hugged me as I cried.

It was a warm night, the moon shined bright, and I hugged on Magnum until I had no choice but to let him go and make myself leave. Deputy Bart buried him facing the river as that was his favorite place to adventure out and I often found him snooping around by the river when he stayed out past his bedtime. He acted like a teenager the last few days, but I knew it was the last "hoorah" before he really crashed. Had it not been for his incontinent senior moments and grey face, no one would have known his age. He outlived his expiration date for sure.



Magnum used the river like a lap pool and was a great hunting dog. In fact, the year before his last, he swam against the river and then floated down, swam back up, floated down, and eventually got out on the road and waddled back to me. It was the happiest I had seen him.





 


Always happy, always faithful. His registered name was Magnum Force but I called him Old Man the last few years...120 pounds of pure muscle, and the oldest black lab in the family. He was a good companion.

Rest in peace, buddy.

Geez, it's easier to get hit in the head with a baseball bat. Beat me.

18 comments:

Ms. A said...

I wouldn't have been able to do it that way, but I'm so sorry for your loss.

middle child said...

Sorry about Magnum. But that he lived to be 17? That is incredible! I know what a loss that is. Peace.

angel shrout said...

OH sweetie I couldn't have done it either. The fact that you had mercy on him says how much you loved him..sending you lots of love and prayers.

The Queen said...

I'm sorry babe.

VandyJ said...

It's so tough to lose a member of the family like that. Yes, dogs are members of the family. So sorry for you.

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
I understand the LOSS that goes on, and I have to hand it to you to be willing to be the one that leads Magnum into the next life.
I couldn't do that...sorry.

But the life he led by YOUR side will live on long after his passing through good memories.

He had a great home...one that other animals still wait for.
Stay strong.

Roll safe out there.

Allenspark Lodge said...

So very sorry.

Bill

GunDiva said...

Damn. So many changes recently. :(

Cheryl said...

So sorry for your loss. I lost my dog at 17 years as well, and I know that is a horrific loss. My heart is heavy for you.

Anonymous said...

Worst part of ownership.. being the one who decides when it's time. Totally sucks. Never second question yourself. RIP Magnum.
"C"

Suz said...

I'm so sorry. You don't know how much...

Hugs to you.

Wraith said...

You gave him a wonderful life and a dignified death. I know the words ring hollow right now, but really--could any of us ask for more?

le Chef said...

My heart is with you. 17 is fantastic for any animal, and he was lucky enough to have you. I'm so sorry. I know where your at with this - I understand. {{hugs}}

Tree said...

I haven't visited you here in so long, and I'm sad to see such a sorrowful post. :( So sorry for your loss.. we had two dogs when I was young that lived to be 19.. we had to put them down too. They're weren't well in the end. Very hard thing to do!

FrankT said...

I lost 2 dogs due to age within 4 years. It's never easy.

Judy Susan said...

Well damn. I'm sorry..

LauraB said...

What a tough day...your consolation is that you were doing things right to get a large dog to that age. But he'll be waiting for you, when that day comes. Bring a ball...

Mad Jack said...

I'm very sorry for your loss.