Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Gideon's Army Debut

Rights are important to all of us. Hopefully, we won't have to exercise our right to counsel.  Somehow, it will roll into our lives in some fashion or another. It was a piece of the Miranda advisement I have spewed many times. Informing suspects of their rights before I asked them questions was automatic for me. I didn't abuse it. I didn't leave it out. I didn't deceive those that I dealt with, even the most sinister. I have to agree with the marketing of this program, "Everyone Deserves The Best Defense." Always.

Some things on television are worth the watch. From the greats of HBO comes Gideon's Army on July 1, 2013...

"In 1961, Clarence Earl Gideon was arrested for stealing soda and a few dollars from a pool hall. Unable to afford an attorney, he was convicted after representing himself at trial. Gideon appealed his conviction to the Supreme Court, which ruled unanimously that the right to counsel in a criminal case is fundamental to the American system of justice. Fifty years after the landmark Gideon v. Wainwright case, most of them will be represented by one of the United States’ 15,000 public defenders.





Directed by attorney Dawn Porter and winner of the 2013 Sundance Film Festival Editing Award for U.S. Documentary Competition, GIDEON’S ARMY follows a group of idealistic young public defenders in the Deep South, where lawyers face particularly difficult challenges due to high bonds, minimum mandatory sentencing and a culture that is traditionally “tough on crime.” The thought-provoking film debuts MONDAY, JULY 1 (9:00-10:45 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO."

 
Join me... and my friends at HBO... for the premiere of this story about justice. It's part of our country. It belongs to all of us.

2 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

No HBO here, but the series looks great!

The Girl Next Door Grows Up said...

I remember studying this case in school. Very interesting. Hey didn't you say you were taking some time off yesterday? :-)