Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Monday, August 19, 2013

Gun Challenge

Yuri, (aka.  Fargo's Brilliant One), this goes out to you... I am reading....this...the latest edition, that is...


I'll give you time to peruse, Google, research, or just throw your opinion out there. You may answer my challenging questions on your blog or over here.  If you accept my challenge, I would like to see what the readers think of our banter.

Do you agree or disagree with the author's research, studies, and opinion on the economics of gun control?

Do you believe he has proven his theory with enough evidence to support it?

2 comments:

RussianBear said...

Challenge Accepted. I will get the book and answer your questions in depth. My uninformed opinion is that the title says it all.

An armed society is a polite society.

I detest the concept of gun-free zones. Those become target rich environments for those with evil intent.

I read an article recently..can't remember where at the moment. But the article made that point that if you excluded Chicago, New York, New Orleans, and one other major city, (It might have been Detroit)from "gun violence" statics for crime, the United States drops to one of the lowest crime rates in the world. The point of the article is that those cities with strict gun control have a much higher incidence of gun violence.

RussianBear said...

Okay...finished.

Do I agree/disagree with the author's research, studies, and opinion on the economics of gun control? Yes.

Do you believe he has proven his theory with enough evidence to support it? Yes.

My favorite parts:

1) His critics misinterpret their own data, which actually confirms his thesis.

2) Catching his critic cherry picking Guns&Ammo sales data to reach a forgone conclusion.

Things I did not know but make sense:

1) Substitution crime effect. Increase in petty crime with a relaxation of gun carry laws. Violent crimes are reduced, but larceny and property crimes increase.

2)Increased crime in Neighboring areas after a relaxation of gun carry laws. Criminals still do crime, but target an area that is perceived as soft. Similar to the substitution effect.

Is there a particular part of the study you want to talk about?