Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Sunday, August 18, 2013

The White Columns

The country road led us to an old colonial plantation home. Without a plantation. The columns that held up the front porch were over 24 foot high and thick. They spoke out that they were the strength of the place. The red door was a double door with the leaded glass still intact. Above, high on the colonial face was an American flag in all it's glory. The place was fit for a queen. At least an American one.

I walked the gardens and orchards with Olen, my favorite man at the church. Olen is an elderly gentleman who lost his wife a few years ago. We all take care to check on him and bring him meals. He is the sweetest thing and a most honorable, Godly man.

It was like strolling back in time as we went through the grape vine arbors into the apple orchard and settled on the pond. He told me to pick as many apples as I could gather. I asked him who does his yard for him. It was over 10 acres with a pond, orchards, vegetable gardens, flower gardens, small vineyard and a pergola with a grill and picnic table. He said he did it all by himself. It kept him young and active.

Old barns surrounded the glory as did the 100 year old trees that encompassed the property which made it secluded and private. It was magnificent. Actually, it was like stepping back in time.

I touched the tops of the stone eagles that adorned his driveway entrance which sat on top of old brick pillars. I told him I loved the moss that grew over old things and covered them like soft blankets. He pretty much thought I was crazy and laughed.

ME: Can I move in with you?

OLEN: Absolutely, Kathy. I have plenty of room in this home and it's too big for an old man like me.

ME: Deal. This is the prettiest place I have yet to lay my eyes on and I cannot believe how you have restored the place. A grand garden indeed. You also have the old stone urns and stacked stone fences still in tact.

OLEN: Yep. Had to keep it right. It's just an old country home.

ME: It is the bomb. You are all that is right in the world, Olen. Your wife was a lucky lady.

OLEN: I was a lucky man.

I took his arm and walked with him. I knew he was sad at that moment remembering his wife.  We laughed and smiled as we picked apples. He loved the house abuzz with people, I could tell.

I think I fell in love with him even more today.

4 comments:

Ms. A said...

Awwwww! Too bad he's not younger, you could marry him. Maybe he could adopt you?

Coffeypot said...

Us older men can be a charm alright. Well... some of them can.

Tennessee Grammie said...

Just by your description of the charming gentleman Olen, I'm already half in love with him too! :)

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
Bet'cha in a past life...you two were an "item".

Stay safe.