Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...



Sunday, August 17, 2014

Dem Bones

I have been reading a lot which is out of the ordinary for this time of year, but I have welcomed the change. Accompanied by a hot cup of coffee, reading on the porch has become a nice pastime in the mornings and again with tea in the evenings. I think the mild weather called me to my comfy abode. Between all the tree frogs, squirrels, and birds along with the sound of the town, I have been able to sink into some stories.

One such book is The Skeleton Crew: How Amateur Sleuths Are Solving America's Cold Cases by Deborah Halber.
The book caught my interest right away. I found Halber viewed things and perhaps became acquainted with people much like a cop would classify them. Her writing brings very interesting topics to the table that I am sure some law enforcement brush off or won't admit might assist them. She writes about what is going on out there with the interest and surge of fascination people have with cold cases, missing persons, or unsolved mysteries. I found those parts fun and the book moved along and kept my attention. Actually, the book was addictive during some chapters which made it a pretty fast read for me.

What did distract me in the book was the jumping around from case to case or suspects, victims, etc. She strung them along throughout the entire book and maybe that was just a style difference I didn't care fore. I had wished she had tackled one and then the other, but it didn't make the book bad, just frazzled me at times.

Halber brought home what really is needed for these families: closure. They also don't want their loved ones to go unforgotten and put away in a box. I found her drive and compassion for closure, forging ahead to solve the unidentified persons, and strive to look outside the box to be very honorable and forward thinking.

I learned about some of the websites these "armchair sleuths" use which I am not at all sure about yet. It caused me to go snooping. I have read some of the blogs and chat lines. Very passionate people. I found a lot of them jumping to conclusions and yet some of them that had good old fashioned brainstorming ideas. There was really a mixture of chatter that overwhelmed me at times, but perhaps there is some good information in there to wade through. I am still partial to SlamDunk and his reviews because he is wise and objective. He also has no personal stake in any of the cases, but open minded viewpoints.

Overall, I think you will find this a page turner with some great stuff in there. The method to solving cases is really a wide open frontier anymore and sometimes the one to break it open is not the police. I enjoyed reading it and it was a refreshing change from some of the other book topics on my shelf. Check it out! You won't be disappointed!


3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Thanks, I'll add it to the read list!

Slamdunk said...

Hey thanks for the mention! Just returning from my vacation and going back to blah reality--so I appreciate all the positives I can get this week.

I am not familiar with Deborah's work, and I'll have to look it over. I have respect for some of the people on WebSleuths and Reddit and other places that break down criminal cases, but I see some of the same issues that you mention--lots of baseless "I got its." I know some of the small sites that were quick to point fingers at possible suspects were voluntarily shut down. Nothing like receiving correspondence from a not-so-friendly attorney.

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
Definitely sounds like some intriguing stuff.

It wouldn't surprise where some of the information would come from (out of the mouths of "babes"...right?)

Good post.

Roll safe down there.