Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Monday, August 4, 2014

Word Crimes

Unsolicited reviews and opinions are great. I might say a great series slipped past me and even won some awards. The Killing, American television series produced by Veena Sud based upon the Danish series Forbrydelsen is a fascinating crime thriller.

(photo credit: AMC/Netflix)


I can't praise it enough. It has twists and turns, cop realism, fantasy, horror, and corruption. Amongst all this turmoil is good old-fashioned cop work conducted by two very screwed up detectives. You won't be bored. You won't be disappointed. I watched it on Netflix minus any commercial interruptions in one weekend. YES! I even got a lot of work done. No sleep, tho. It was like a great book.

It was a Netflix original, then picked up by AMC then cancelled then picked up again by Netflix. There are four seasons with an ending that is appropriate since the story line came to a halt, but not one of those halts that piss you off because it was time for it to end, not because the series fell short. But it will surprise you. An all star cast is scattered throughout the entire series with some commanding performances. Might I say, I think I fell in love with the crack headed detective Holder played by Swedish actor, Joel Kinnamon.
(photo credit: AMC/Netflix)

He's like Eminem on the good side gone bad trying to be good and battling his demons. It's like a train wreck. You can't look away and you hope for the best. He's real...a real hot mess.

His partner, Linden, played by Alan Ruck's wife, Mireille Enos is one of those characters I could not decide if I hated her or liked her, but she was very believable and so complex. It was a back and forth relationship of love-hate where I wanted to slap her candy ass into shape a few times.  I think she got rid of her badge or got suspended as often as I change socks. She's the world's shittiest mother as well. However, she ranks amongst the top and is another actress that played her part very well and makes it real...real dysfunction junction.

But it's SOOOO good.

In other news...I have decided I am in a foreign country. I can't decide to fight it or join it. I know one thing, I cannot cannot cannot embrace "sweet teh: (sweet tea). I hate it. What separates the west side of the Mississippi versus the east side? Sugar. I take my coffee and my tea the same way...straight up, black. Here are some examples of the language barriers:

My student worker came in today...

ME: How was your weekend, Dr. Berg?

BERG: Great. My friends and I got into some RPGs. It was the bomb.

ME: *blink*blink*

BERG: We did them all weekend.

ME: And you didn't get arrested by the ATF or FBI?

BERG: *blink*blink*

ME: Did you blow something cool up at least?

BERG: Role playing games.

ME: Oh. OHHH! Whew.

BERG: What did you think it was?

ME: The other RPGs.

BERG: *blink*blink* I don't know any other kind.

ME: Well, I guess that is good when the FBI comes asking questions.  Such a baby bird.

I love my Dr. Berg. She is a perfect child.

In other language barrier episodes with the strange kind...

color-(common meaning) pronounced in Indiana-collar (as in your shirt)

This fucking drives me nuts and I correct all those that entered this world without having a dictionary or proper schooling and insist on saying it that way. I usually lead the Webster conversation with many "fucks" and derivatives there of followed by, "yeah, nice shirt."

wash- (common meaning) pronounced in Indiana-warsh (as in fucked up with an "r")

This also drives me fucking nuts. I roll my eyes when people say that and have them spell it, followed by "now try again."

dinner or supper? They are afraid to answer that after the two above issues. I know their answer is supper. West=breakfast, lunch, dinner. East=breakfast, dinner/lunch, supper.  It's also fucking stupid. When they ask me why I think it is dinner and not supper, I simply ask them...do you see the word SUPPER on any fucking restaurant menu? NO.

Ok. That is enough fucks for the day. I could go on, but you get my drift. That's drift...as in snow, message, overcorrecting, or in Indiana it means the same thing as DRAFT-"air stealing" which is what any moron does when they can't pronounce words correctly-(not properly).



9 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Yep, like yomen.

Old NFO said...

LOL, and you REALLY aren't even IN the South yet... :-)

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Momma Fargo;

Like OldNFO said...You arn't in the south yet...hehehe

To me "supper" was late like dinner was around 6:00 and supper was around 8:00. Like Jesus had the "last supper" last meal..It wasn't the "Last dinner".
Yes I live my sweet tea....try going to Chicfila...best tea going. But I alas don't drink sweet tea..Now it is unsweet and lemonade.

Momma Fargo said...

WSF-exactly!

OldNFO-It's the near south. It's worse. It's southern wannabes with a Midwest attitude.

MrGarabaldi-just like a truth southerner...you always have to bring Jesus into it. LOL. Chic-fil-a. Say it slow and separate with your hyphens in there for emphasis on the right syllable.

Coffeypot said...

I was raised here in the South that the last meal of the day was and is SUPPER... or your wife, depending on the time. Another thing I was raised with and is in my mind everytime I hear, "Today is Wednesday." Growing up the neighborhood stores and some in the city closed at noon on Wednesday (getting ready for prayer meeting and supper (remember the LAST FUCKING SUPPER?) So my mom ALWAYS said, "It is Wednesday; the stores close at noon."

Tennessee Grammie said...

Your Minnesota/South Dakota Uncle Paul always said "warsh" ... :)

Momma Fargo said...

Tennessee Grammie...he lived in California too long. NO one in the family put those silly letters where they don't belong. WE talk plain English.

RussianBear said...

Pretty soon your neighbors will be wishing you a "Happy Birfday."

Momma Fargo said...

Russian Bear...LOL. I know! I can appreciate the ghetto slang more so than screwed up word crimes.