Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Blast From The Past

Everyone likes a good book. I like a variety---mix it up. And, as you might have guessed, I always like a little law and order in the mix. When I received J.E. Fishman's Blast From The Past to read, I was very excited. If you aren't familiar with the series, you should pick one up. I did not read them in order and no need to as they are all unique stories.

Photo credit: Amazon


Not only is Fishman great at details and goes where most don't-- diving into a bomb squad series, but he also consults with a cop in the field. That gets him extra kudos. His book cover reminded me of Tom Berenger. I dare you to tell me I'm crazy...look here...same shirt? Ok. Maybe a resemblance.

Photo credit: TNT's Major Crimes


This book did not disappoint. Immediately, Fishman's exceptional writing drew me into the story and captured me to the end. From the first paragraph, the book is full of fast-paced action and thrilling moments. NYPD K-9 Handler, Kieran Lehane is the main character. He is older. I like that because it gives him credibility and substance. I think he also has a little Fargo (me, not the movie) in him. He is obsessed and gets fixated on investigating and does not know when to stop. He actually goes "off the grid" sometimes and investigates on personal time because he is so dedicated and/or relentless. I'm not sure which one outweighs the other. Relentless he is. I guess that is a character trait you want in any cop, right? But, I actually felt a little sorry at times for Georgia, his canine companion and partner. I think she got tired. Maybe. I don't know. She was pretty fantastic. That's the other part...I like K-9 partners in the story. It was really fun.

The plot twists were fabulous and during the book I felt like I was along beside Lehane. All the characters were alive and full of action throughout. Fishman really understands how to portray police work from the inside and engage the reader. I was impressed with how I could relate to the story because I was a street cop and a detective--different specialties. Equally impressing is the lack of errors and fine writing skills of Fishman. He is a pro. I think this is the best book in the series so far and I have no qualms about yapping it up to anyone as a great read. In fact, it's the bomb diggety. Pun intended.

This is just my review of Blast From The Past. I have an extra treat for another post where I will share with you about the author. Keep tuned in. While you are waiting, go to Amazon and get your copy. I provided a link for you. You won't be disappointed!


3 comments:

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
Not just an AUTHOR, but a damn good reviewer to boot.
Makes me want to check it out.
And yes, Berenger does bear a good resemblance to Fishman.
Call me crazy, but you can't go all that wrong with a "dog" story.
(except Cujo...lol)

Roll safe down there, Kiddo.

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Momma Fargo,

I will check out the book, you havn't steered me wrong yet. Hope you and Bug had a good Thanksgiving.

Old NFO said...

I'll add it to the read list...