Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Monday, February 2, 2015

The Permit

Without further ado, I am going to introduce you to my latest read, The Permit, by William B. Scott.

Scott gives a gripping tale of fiction based upon some true accounts of his son's killing in Las Vegas, Nevada, in 2010.
Erik Scott's case is easily researched online if you wish to peruse the online sites. I did, naturally, because I was curious. It was disturbing to me even though I don't really know all the evidence. I also have to take in account that I don't have all the facts and news sources are sometimes not trusted sites of truth.

Perhaps all the latest inquests into police shootings also caused me some concern and the fact I would like to trust the FEDS or an outside agency would investigate properly and uphold right over wrong. This is not always so and garbage in gives garbage out. We, as the outsiders, would never be privy to what the FBI is given in an investigation nor what they discover. Personnel matters are often kept within a department and only criminal allegations go public.

Erik Scott's case was and still is indeed a tragedy. Even the case information available to the public leaves me with many questions. I will be interested to see what comes of any civil case.

With all this, comes emotions. The book gives you a sense of some of the grief William Scott must have felt, only I am sure it only gives us a surface look. Plus, Scott wrote in so brilliantly "frustration": frustration with corruption; frustration with the legal system not prevailing and the struggle to find the truth; frustration with everything going against every moral grain we have as citizens; and a parent's fight for justice. Then there is revenge-an eye for an eye. It is all in the storyline.

Some issues I had with the beginning were the inept police procedures and lack of firearms safety. Gah. I know the author meant to show the incompetence of the police officers, but it drives me crazy. I just wanted to correct them. The mixture of content (fiction and non-fiction) caused me some conflict while I read the book, knowing real was mixed with unreal. You can mostly sort it out, but it leaves you with a cloud of doubt.

Perhaps it is just the nosy investigator side of me and it left a hole in my heart and an unsettling feeling.

The book was very well-written and an easy read, but deep and heavy at the same time. Intense is a better way to describe it. It reminded me of the emotions I went through with the movie "Training Day" with Denzel Washington. I don't want the cops to be corrupted, yet we can't hide our faces in the sand. There is and has been corruption out there and some departments where it is deep-rooted. Most of us probably could name a couple of big departments which have been exposed publicly. Thankfully, I worked in a department without any of this type of behavior, nor would I have stood for it as an officer. 

Scott gives you an inside look to corruption, internal investigations, and conspiracy. In his novel, it all becomes a dirty little secret the father, Win Steele, tries to reveal. He added in a little "spy" factor which was intriguing and brought a unique twist. Over all, it was different, intriguing, and fast-paced. I couldn't put the book down and what a ride it gives you with several plot twists and turns. Scott definitely leaves the reader with an important message which I might gather is his intent. It is well worth the read and I highly recommend it.

If any of this sparks your interest, I suggest you boogie down to Amazon and get your copy. He also has a Kindle version, but you know me...I like the tree version. 

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

I'll have to get a coffee for the flight back to DC thanks for tweaking my interest.

Bob G. said...

oFargo:
Another addition to my (already) lengthy list of "have to reads"...
Thanks for the heads-up.

Roll safe down there.

William B. Scott said...

Many thanks for the kind review, M-Fargo. It's greatly appreciated!

If you'd like to see a nonfiction summary of how my son, Erik Scott, was killed, as well as a dispassionate account of the egregious, astounding coverup that followed, please send an e-mail via the Contact section of my website (sorry, I have to deal with spam, as well): williambscott.com

...and stand by for both the nonfiction book about Erik's murder and a documentary film. All coming soon.

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Momma Fargo;

I Know some of the story of Erik scott and the idiot at cosco that called in a "gun" complaint. I also hold Costco responsible for what happened. The Police also in my biased opinion mishandled the case.

I will check out the book though:)