Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Hills Have I's: "I" Want That



Ok. I'm getting a little paranoid. Are bloggers and followers/readers falling off the face of the earth? Clean outs continue on in Bloggerland.

There was a time I thought you could never lose your blog, but if you aren't active, apparently Blogger will delete you. Sad deal for those who have passed and family and friends can no longer view the posts from their loved one. Some day you will not be able to relive my funny or irrational ramblings. I thought this would be here for my daughter some day to read. However, I am misguided. The same goes for paid sites. If the money is gone, so are you.

Grab hold, mateys, before it is too late! Read or comment on your favorites to keep them alive!

Ok. Enough of that drama. I sound like Donald Trump.

How about a new topic of discussion? This is not even in the news.

I am sure many of you have thought long and hard about me running late at night...in the dark...by myself. Hmm..in the country...where there are weirdos galore...isn't she afraid?

The answer is, "No." I run unafraid. Why? Because it is a waste of energy. I think I am more aware that an active shooter could take me out in the university gym before I would get hit by a car or attacked by a rapist on my country trail runs.

Do I have NO fear? No. I don't operate on adolescence or adult stupidity. I just have emotional intelligence and situational awareness. Here is another thought for those who venture out into the wilderness or run in the dark. If you are scared, counter that with protection. I guess you could abstain all together, but that is kind of boring and unfun. That is a word.

So what can you do?

Carry something that feels good. No, not a dildo. That would scare people. Well, I guess no one would approach you and mission accomplished.

Carry a stick. Not a dick.

I might have a better idea with not so drastic ideas.

How about knives...OC...Tasers? Sure. They probably have what makes you feel safe.

Or... if you are comfortable with firearms like myself...

If your state mandates concealed carry permits, then get one. If you are in a state with open carry laws (hooray for the west!) then carry on.

But, egads, Fargo, those guns are so heavy and bounce around on my waist or make me crazy strapped to my ankle. It makes me run lopsided. Geesh. Some of you are so fickle.

A brilliant Colorado company called Hill Country Gear makes super fantabulous and creative outdoor carry gear for the wilderness and runners in a variety of designs. They are super affordable.

Guess what? This is not a solicited review.

I wish they would give me a free product for review and to keep later for running purposes. That would cause me to do a happy dance. This is just Fargo telling you about an awesome product at a price which does not break the bank.

First...for you day hikers or fisher peeps...try this:

This is the snubby kit, great for subcompacts. 
Hill People Gear sell this for $85.00.

What is better than that for us trail runners or outside country and city runners? Answer: The runner's kit bag. It is $45.00. Totally affordable and a great gift to yourself or your runner loved one. Plus it is absolutely functional and doesn't get in your way so you can swing your arms freely and be ready to draw down on those snakes. I mean real snakes, not snake people. However, you might run into a serial killer on a trail like this...

The runner kit bag.


I mostly shoot snakes. All kinds. I'm not a racist.

Great for wilderness adventures and running: The runner's kit bag. 
Hill People Gear don't even know who I am, so don't think this is a paid pitch for their product. I just think more people should know about it. Sure, it adds a little weight. So what? You pussy.

You can even throw in your phone for music enjoyment in the kit bags which have an extra pocket. Or strap it (your music device or phone) on your arm like I like to do as well as even carry it in my left (non-shooting) hand.

The runner's kit bag also allows for a knife or gum or Kleenex for you cry babies in the front pocket. Watch the video for best practices if you aren't familiar with this product:


Don't like to run? You can wear it while mountain biking or leisure riding through town. Add in some cash and stop at the local ice cream shop. Not really. That kind of defeats the purpose. Well, I guess you could look at it like a reward for your effort. Don't forget to put your papers or permit in your zipper pocket in case the PoPo show up on the trail or pull you over for excessive speeds. 

Or let's say you are hiking on the Appalachian Trail and need to stop at a gas station for a drink. There you go...whip out your credit card or some greenbacks. If you are walking along in the wilderness of Wyoming or Colorado, you really don't need cash because you are more likely to run into no one or Smokie The Bear. In that case, your firearm may or may not do you any good. When your butt hole shrinks, that is when your instincts kick in and you either freeze, run, or make noise depending on the type of bear. But having a small shooter....it makes you feel better. It's all about feelings. It's not always the size, but how you use it. UNLESS...you run into a bear. Then size matters. 

Anyhoozle, this isn't about bears. It's about personal safety in the wilderness or around (((shudder)))people on the trail, street, or recreational area you visit. Make sure you know the rules of firearms regulations in your area because many places ban guns. In that case, punt. 

It still works perfect for me beebopping down the country roads getting ready for my running races. No, I don't carry on race day. It really wouldn't be fair to eliminate my competition. It isn't roller derby running either. I couldn't even catch up to the number one guy to knock him off the trail anyway, so I will just settle for NOT LAST. 

What else is super about this genius idea? It is made in the United States. What is even better than that? They have a clever name (named after the owner and probably goes in line with the landscape) and they have beards. What else could you want? Oh, I suppose you don't like camo? Too bad. It's like black. It goes with everything. And Hill People Gear are nice enough to make it in multiple camo shades...green, grey, and tannish colors in different varieties including ripstop fabric. 

The only thing that really pisses me off about this product? I didn't think of it first. 

They could have been called Boogie Man Bags, appropriately named. The funny thing is I mostly use mine for dangerous critters like snakes and skunks and things like that, not people. But there always is that one time...

Be safe. Be vigilant. 





8 comments:

Allenspark Lodge said...

Good non-review review!

Followers are evaporating from our blog, too. I think more people are using faceplant than Blogger, now.

Sad.

Bill

Cheryl said...

I have had a pretty hefty drop off lately as well. I deserve a loss of readership as I took a year off for personal reasons but.... What is odd is that it didn't occur over the time I was off the Internet but AFTER, I started posting regularly again. Talk about paranoid..."Is it something I said?"

I do think that Facebook has cut into the blog numbers but blogging also has a component of people that you have connected with. I notice some of my drop offs are people that I am shocked to see them among the fallout. Makes me sad.

GunDiva said...

Cross-posting to FB has saved my blog. Well, really, The Cornered Cat endorsing one of my posts really saved my blog, but I had to cross-post to FB for that to happen.

I kinda like this product, even if I'm not a runner. Keeps the gun in the same place as my Flashbang. So it's really kind of a Flashbang for guys who don't wear a boulder holder :) and you wear it over your clothes. Shut up, it's just my inner Fargo taking over. Good God, I'm starting to sound like you ...

Momma Fargo said...

Allenspark Lodge...yeah, I think you are right.

Cheryl...:( I read your blog (I am hit and miss and have to play catch up on everyone's blogs) and I can't post comments to Discus sometimes and today was one of those times. Even did a forget password and no email was sent to reset it. I will have to investigate.

GunDiva...Oh, Lord help you. LOL. I cross post to Facebook, but I think no one reads me anyway. I ramble too much and have too much in my news feed. When I stop posting, then people start bitching to see if I died. I can't win. Sigh. Yes, this holster is awesome and made by peeps in your Homeland.

GunDiva said...

I like the peeps in my homeland. Have some cool reviews coming up from local companies. I mean, if I ever get them written.

Old NFO said...

I'm seeing people stopping due to a variety of reasons... I'm stable at 1200-1500 views a day, doesn't change much... Hang in there, and yes personal safety in the 'field' IS a matter everyone needs to think about. I think this rig works well for concealed carry, and for biking or ATV in the back country.

Coffeypot said...

I always though you were carrying when you ran. Being an ex-cop, I though you would know better. You are not stupid... other than being a blond. I though you might have carried a small item like a Glock 26 or 42 in one of those bra holders. Let's face it, they keep your boobs from slapping you in the face and gut, a good bra could also keep the gun from bouncing.

I have not got totally way from blogging. I got there several times a day to read my peeps on the side bar. It's just easier and faster to post and read on FB. Blogger was giving me fits for a while, too.

I am going to look into that rig and check out the web page, too.

Happy jogging, LYLT

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Momma Fargo;

I teach hiking in the Boy scouts and when I am talking with the adults only,the ones I have a good rapport with.. I tell them, "this is my opinion...If you go hiking...make sure you have something that goes bang. Sure the BSA says no firearms...that is to keep the lawyers off them, animals both 2 and 4 legged ignore "gun free zones". so you decide what to do. if you carry, make sure it is good in your state and none of the kids know it."

As far as blogging....I don't link to facebook, I don't want some SJW finding where I work and cause a fuss and get me fired from my risk adverse employer.