Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Monday, March 21, 2016

Swiss Cheese Moments #15

For many it hits us in the guts when we hear of another slain officer. Deputy Koontz from Kokomo, Indiana, really pinged my heart. He leaves behind a wife and a 9 month old baby. Kokomo is only 70 miles away and is a big small town. It's nice. I thought it was the quiet picture book type. Yep, you guessed it...that famous song comes in my head every time I go there.


Events like this remind us that there are bad guys everywhere. It's not just a city problem. Certainly having the thoughts of killing cops and taking action toward it seems to be getting easier for criminals. It's pretty bad when even the criminals lose their moral compass. Perhaps they are just following the way of the world right now. So many have lost their compasses and maps and cannot find their way back to morality.

First, you lose it in small ways. Those problems grow bigger and before you know it, it's easy to lie, cheat, and steal. But you have a good reputation. Until that one day when you are exposed. And you will be exposed. It is inevitable. So why do people do bad things? I don't know. I'm not a psychiatrist, although being a cop sure is close.

For criminals it is a right of passage. But what about us normal type folks? What makes one of us go bad? Desperate times? A life event? A job loss? A divorce?

My life event caused me to get two more jobs, try to stay afloat, fight to the death, be a better mother...but that one thing...I globbed (definition: aimlessly super grab onto something or someone with no forethought or brain activity) onto another boob of a man and another and another. Then I married one of the boobs. Yeah. Fargo picks dogs. Not the good kind of dogs, but the other kind of dogs. Now literally, when I think of lifelong commitments, I go get another puppy.

Now back to the fallen cops.



I have not thought about Officer Black for quite some time. Back in 2000 ( I was assigned as a detective while pregnant), I called upon the assistance of a gang unit in California to locate a suspect wanted in an aggravated assault with multiple other warrants tied to a drug ring tied to a bunch of auto burglaries tied to fraud cases. See how the organized crime used to work? Drugs-auto burglaries-fraud-aggravated assaults/murders/rape-then you become a politician. Anyhoozle, I contacted the State of Confusion (California) and got some help. The officer I was assigned to was a go getter and very nice, reporting back to me often his progress. He and I got along like peas and carrots over the phone. I was somewhat depressed I didn't get Erik Estrada or Larry Wilcox, but he made it up with his enthusiasm and great personality.

I hadn't heard from him for a few days and it was not like him to check in with me. We were about to get this bad guy with the long arm of the law. I left a message for him at his office. Then I got a strange call one day from one of his cohorts. My new found cop friend had been killed in an ambush.

I really didn't know how to feel except empty with a hole in my heart and helpless. All I could really do back then was donate to his family.

After time, you close the gap a little and move on. But you never forget and at odd times you will remember vividly. I didn't even really know him, but yet you have the blue bond so it feels like you lost a family member.

And you guessed it again..my stupid humor rings in my ear...right this minute...Lauperized.



I know my humor is not appreciated by all, especially during a somewhat solemn and sad post. Cops are awkward. We soften terrible things with sick humor and dumb funnies.




But not to get weird about it, however, that's how I feel when I hear about another cop being killed: Empty with another hole in my heart. Even if it is just for a moment, I feel for the families left behind. I'm pretty sure on the inside I look like baby Swish cheese about now.

3 comments:

Coffeypot said...

It is open season on cops. Now the cops need to open season on perps. Fuck the community when they protest. NEVER take a prisoner who shoots a cop. I saw a video of the police arresting a kid who shot a cop. The lady who owned the place where he was hiding was not arrested. She said she didn't do anything wrong and she was not harboring a fugitive as he hadn't been charged with anything. He was a good boy, she loved him, and he didn't do anything wrong, just shot a cop. Shoot a cop and the cops are all over the hood. We shoot someone and the cops don't show up. That bitch needs to be slapped down right there. And the reporter locked up for showing it. That is not news, that is race bating and black lives matter bull shit. Before any of this gets any worse, some strong actions need to be made.

Cheryl said...

Momma Fargo, your posts are so thought provoking. Sometimes I have to stop and Google something just to give your thoughts some extra background for my brain. That is so very,VERY sad about the Kokomo officer.

As for why some good people go bad or why some bad people were always bad is a huge puzzle. I would have to think the good ones that go bad probably do have some type of desperation clouding their judgment. As for the creeps that have always been bad, often they blame their situation on their upbringing. I don't buy that. Lots of people have sad background stories but don't steal, rape or kill. Mental illness, maybe.

Also very sad about your friend. It's hard enough losing a friend but the added layer of their dying to protect others, really makes it worse.

I love your sense of humor. I, too find that humor... even when it's interjected into serious subjects... alleviates the pain in the telling and in the hearing of it.

Bob G. said...

MOmma Fargo:
And people think that cops only wear their STRIPES on their sleeves.
When it comes to officers being targeted, (to me) it's like this: Too many windows got broke along the way, and no one noticed the damn draft on their necks.
Pre-Miranda days DID have it's "up" side (IMHO).
Since then, the "system" been like chipping away minute parts of the whole venue of law-enforcement.

Excellent post and some very well said comments.

Stay safe and stay strong down there, dear.