Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Its Head Came Off By Accident

I love the title. The long awaited book review I promised is here! My mom gave me as a gift and I was immediately excited because the Mead family has quite a history in Wyoming.

The book,  Its Head Came Off By Accident by Muffy Mead-Ferro is a memoir. If you click on the title, it will take you to a write up. If you click on Muffy's name, it will take you to Amazon.



Let me preface things a little.

Muffy and I don't know each other although we attended the same classes at the same university and have the same major. We were strangers. I worked with her brother distantly on some cases when he was a US Attorney. But... I followed her mother, Mary Mead, a Republican, in politics. I am very familiar with the family ranches she writes about growing up on. I voted for Mary Mead. I also voted for her son, Matt Mead, the current governor. On a side note, I don't always agree with what he does and sometimes I get downright mad. I know he as a person tries to do what he thinks is right, but is influenced by outside forces. I will say no more about that.

Now that makes us close to family, right?

Ha. Anyway, I think Mary was defeated because she was a woman. I don't have anything negative to say about Sullivan, but I think that the people of the Republican Wyoming state did not quite embrace a woman as governor back then....even though it was 1990. Need I say more about progress.

Mary Mead died while on her ranch, working, and by a horse accident. I was greatly saddened back then. I remember hearing it on the radio first. It wasn't the voice of Walter Cronkite, of course, but the voice I remember told it as devastatingly as Walter Cronkite would have. Only it was the radio. I probably know the person who aired it first, but it doesn't come to mind.

She was the last of her kind, a tough pioneer lady. So with her death, came the loss of an era.

As you can imagine then... instantly, I felt I had to read this. Besides, my mom has good taste in books.

First, I must warn you, there is no plot...it's a memoir. Life is plot enough. It is also slow moving in some parts.

However, it is intelligently written and endearing.

It's funny how we relate to persons or characters when we read. Muffy describes things about the lands of Wyoming and her family held them as dear as I do. Ranching is a way of life, not a job. And the majesty of the land was too much to behold on some days. We also respected it.

Now her life in no way parallels mine except our parent (her mother and my father) both died young and we grew up on ranches in Wyoming on the same side of the state. However, Farson does not look like Jackson in any way. Nor is it near as valuable. Albeit, she grew up on legendary ground of many prime acres and I grew up on a nice plot.

I even teared up when she talked about Mary's death.

She really brought home the times we grew up and the era of the last American cowboy. Her family members were well off and politically famous. One even an ad star for cigarettes. But, I felt it contained compassion and love for the land, but lacked emotion when she wrote about her family. In fact, it seemed at times the family were distant with one another and mostly referred to each other as business partners. Maybe she was trying to be matter of fact in the history. I don't know.

Despite the downers I shared, It was well worth the read and very interesting. I enjoyed it. If you like western stories and want to know more about political history and the insides of a family, I suggest you get a copy.




2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I will definitely get a copy, although it will collect dust before I get through the stack of books waiting to be read. I agree that you and I might be twins, if not genetically maybe cosmically. I love to read memoirs of diverse people. Not so much celebrities writing books because the adoring fans need to immerse themselves in all the details...but the memoirs of people that came up through life and have interesting stories.

I also, agree that a story does not have to be over the top adventuresome or be a highly structured thrill-a-minute, bigger than life bios. I would be far more interested a real life that has ups and downs....the types of wins and losses that make most of our lives as unique as our fingerprints.

I, lost my mother at 7 in a bizarre twist and it changed me in significant ways. I try to always acknowledge that EVERYONE has a story and most we will never have any insight to the story that goes with each individual. It's nice to read a good memoir every now and then that we can connect to in some way even if there is little or no apparent common ground.

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
You made this book sound quite intriguing.
Then again, you have a keen way with words (blue or any other color...lol)

I love the one phrase that I MUST get a sign for:
:LIFE IS PLOT ENOUGH".

Ain't THAT the truth!

Good post.

Roll safe and stay dry down there, dear.