Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Tuesday, February 28, 2017

You Want Fries With That?

A traffic stop pulled out of the journal archives...

Tonight, I pulled over a young man, all of 16 years old, on a traffic stop. He handed me his proof of insurance. I glanced at it, keeping my eyes on him and his passenger and my surroundings.



The red "crayon-like" lettering in a grade school scribble caught my eye and I took a second look at the paper he handed me.

I said with one eye brow raised, "Seriously?"

He said, "What?"

I did state in a very calm manner, "You are freaking kidding me if you think in your right mind this is going pass as your proof of insurance."

He, in his calm teenager voice said, "Really? It worked for the other guy."

I said, "I doubt it. If so, he was probably an idiot on crack or a rookie from the next two towns over. No cop is that dense. But...nice try."

He said, "Oh."

"Oh, as in...the blond cop isn't as dumb as I thought she would be?"





"Uh, no ma'am. It was just worth a try. I had to try."

So, I told him to wait in the car and I would get back to him. When I got into my car, I had to take a moment to bust out laughing.

On this night, I happened to have a "rider" with me who was a college student and has ridden along with me and other police officers several times. We have a program where citizens that have gone through an approval process can ride with police and watch us work, learn what it is like "out there", and so forth. So, since he has been involved in the ride along program for some time, he knows the procedures very well. I handed him the paper "Masterpiece" titled, "Proof of Insurance."

He busted out laughing. He said, "The only thing that would make that dude's work of art any better would be if actually he did it in crayon."

The document read as:
Insurance






The paper was heavy card stock paper and the headings were typed. The rest was written as I would say in, "red, crayon-like, grade school, scribble."

I wrote my lovely citation for No Proof Of Insurance in my "official black scribble" and approached the car. I handed him the clipboard and said, "Here you go, Genius. I will keep your work of art for evidence purposes."

He sheepishly grinned.

On the citation was a place for work or school. So, I asked him the magic question that I already knew the answer to, "What school do you go to?" He said, "Oh, I don't go to school." I said, "Aha." He said, "But I work. Well, actually, I start tomorrow...at Burger King..that is, I hope so, IF I get the job."

I gave him an A+ for effort.

6 comments:

Coffeypot said...

So he spent his first six months of pay checks for Burgerdoodle in paying the fine. Brilliant.

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
That was PRICELESS (as in that PoF wasn't worth the paper it was scribbled on...lol.

Shame they did away w/ the ride-along HERE in FtW.
(guess the streets got a bit TOO rough).
But, I did enjoy my "tour" with the officer I had.
Got to see (and speak with) some of the locals.
Quite an experience (even the lights and sirens pursuit to head off an SUV a woman was trying to shake the repo man from)
Good post.

Roll safe down there, Kiddo.

Old NFO said...

LOL, the things people will try...

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Momma Fargo;

I did several ride alongs with my county popo and I learned a lot about Police work, I had the same officer every time I did a ride along. Here in my county, they had a "citizens Police Academy" it was a 10 week course where people could spend a couple of hours a week learning about the police dept and their policies. It opened a lot of eyes to what the police do go through.

Sylvia Plathypus said...

LMAO Amazing what they'll try to get away with, isn't it? xD

Cheryl said...

OMG that is funny!!! I wouldn't of found any humor in it if that was my child but since it isn't...hilarious!!