Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Monday, June 26, 2017

Ode to Jeff

This one brought some tears to my eyes. Captain Jeff Atkinson has since passed on from complications of cancer in 2014. He was just 48. Great man. He was a joy to work with and was always there serving the public in a way you knew he put people ahead of himself. I can only think his passing on 9-11 was something reminisce of his dedication.

I was sent to a lockout with a 3 year old in an Acura. Let me tell you about Acuras. First, I want one. Second, you can't break into them even if you are a master burglar. I shit you not.

Arriving at Perkins, I found a very distraught dad who had locked his keys in the car with it running and the 3 year old in his car seat. He also called his wife and told her what he had done. She was at their home in Colorado.

I thought she was going to kill him through the phone. I strongly advised how you handle women is that you call them after the fact and tell them everything was all good now, not during the crisis. I gave him this advice.

It took 4 firemen, me, a locksmith, and grandparents to break into the Acura and rescue junior. And let me say...that took 2 hours. There was no immediate harm in temperatures to the little guy so we did not just break the window. We were trying to preserve the kiddo and the car. A twofer we call those.

I was not in my normal area on this day.

The distraught dad was beside himself, beating himself up-not literally, but figuratively, and very worried. We tried to keep him and his son laughing while the FIREMAN did surgery on the Acura.

I was just there for moral support because I already informed them they took our Slim Jims away because of liability. I could only break the window with my ASP which was not well received. Since the air conditioner was on, we didn't worry about the health of ACURA KID, just him being scared and bored.

He was a great kid. And didn't cry once. I entertained him through the glass. It's what cops do when the firefighters are around. We dance and tell jokes.

After it was all said and done...we had to stick around for another hour because the Acura ate the burglar tool and we had to take the door off.

Then distraught dad made a discovery.

One discovery I learned many years ago because I was looking in the right places. You can't help it. It's like those Victoria Secret sweatpants, only for firefighters. Bunkers have words.

DISTRAUGHT DAD: Oh. You guys have your name on your pants.

ME: Yep. Note the location.

DISTRAUGHT DAD: Yeah. Why do you suppose it's there of all places? [laughing]

JUST JIM: *blink*blink*

ME: They just want more attention. They can't get enough as it is.

DISTRAUGHT DD: You have the same name as my son. Look, son, this nice fireman has your name.

JUST JIM: Uh. That's actually my last name, sir.

DISTRAUGHT DAD: Oh. Well, I guess you aren't as cool as I thought.

ME: [laughing] Good one. High five on that.

JUST JIM: [big cheesy grin]

FIREMAN JEFF: [laughing] Someone needs to keep him on his toes. Great wit.

So we played with the little guy who was rescued. CUTE kid and an adoring firefighter fan. I got a high five, though.

ME: Give me five. You are one brave guy for staying in there and not crying. And you tried to get yourself out and worked really hard.

ACURA KID: Yeah. [gives me 5]

FIREMAN JEFF: Come on, let's slide down the hill.

WTF. Another hero story where the firemen outdo the popo. Why didn't I think of that? Oh yea. Grass stains.

So...JEFF took ACURA KID up the hill and they slid down the hill. I told ACURA KID who scooted down the hill as JEFF flew past him that JEFF had cheated because he was wearing bunkers. ACURA KID then got to use JEFF as a sled. I mean, seriously? Is that even fair?

ACURA KID got to check out the fire truck and hit the sirens. That really lit up his face.

Then he moved onto my g-ride which did not impress him. It was a slick back undercover.

Boring.

To him, there was something wrong with it, it wasn't a real cop car. No matter how hard I tried to convince the kid that it was the super cool secret sorta undercover cop car, he wasn't buying it.

No wonder firemen are the heroes. Bigger is better. Especially in trucks. Oh, well.

DISTRAUGHT DAD: Do you have kids, Jeff?

FIREMAN JEFF: Yes. I do. An 8 and a 5 year old.

DISTRAUGHT DAD: Oh. I could tell you were great with kids.

FIREMAN JEFF: Yeah. They are at home with their mother.

DISTRAUGHT DAD: Nice.

FIREMAN JEFF: Yep. At home. NOT. LOCKED. IN. THE. CAR.

ME: [laughing]

GRANDPARENTS: [laughing]

FIREMEN: [laughing]

DISTRAUGHT DAD: Yep. [red embarrassed face] Look, son, FIREMAN JEFF thinks he's funny.

ACURA KID: He is funny, daddy.

4 comments:

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
Sorry to hear about Capt.Jeff.
We're all here for a reason...some get longer to discover that than some.

Good story about the child rescue.
(and that's why I always keep a spare door key in the old wallet).

Roll safe down there, Kiddo.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Sheesh! After many years in the car biz I can unlock an Acura in a few minutes.

Take a nylon wedge to the top of the door. Pry just enough to slide in a SnapOn bladder made for the job. Inflate, push in more wedge, slide the bladder further down, inflate, etc. Soon you will have just enough room for a stiff rod made for the job. Push a button, grab a handle, etc.

Never had a vehicle on the lot I couldn't get into.

Momma Fargo said...

Lol good practice there, Bob

Allenspark Lodge said...

I've heard that if you DO need to break glass to get in, you should punch out a corner of the windshield. They cost about 1/3 as much as a side window to replace.

Go figure.

Bill