Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Be DEEdazzled

This post marks the first guest post in a series. This week is about looking back and looking forward, how we were raised, what we think of the police... now and then, parenting, family, and life through the teenager today. I guarantee the people you are going to meet will inspire, enlighten, and tickle your funny bone...all while we get serious.  I think you will find the masters behind these blogs interesting and a part of what makes America great...tag along with all of us.



Dee...at Redheaded Stepchild has gratiously accepted the challenge. She posts a variety of topics...keeps it lively...and hosts Say Anything where several bloggers are featured in a very unselfish blog boosting lots of good reads. She gives a lot back without asking anything in return. She interacts with bloggers and is a fireball behind her blog that I really enjoy talking to and sharing conversations with... a lovely lady...a smart cookie...here is Dee...

I spent my "growing up" years on a ranch in the SW Missouri Ozark hills. Our small family pretty much stuck to themselves, and had our own set of ethics we lived by. There might as well have been a big sign at the end of our long driveway that said Go Away. It was a seclusion that I liked, and began my lifelong journey to keep.



The friends I made, the life I lead, all contributed to producing an ornery redneck tomboy. I embraced the heritage. Probably too much so, during my teens, when I was constantly pulling stunts and pushing the limit. The popo = bad news. Underage drinking, skipping school, spray painting on the road....all of these were frowned upon by the POlice.

The sheriff of our county was right out of the movies. He was known for using his flashlight to subdue people, and more often than not, was a bit too aggressive with it. There were tales of him "busting" parties where there was alcohol & pot, only to join them. Stories about him being easily persuaded by the teen female species, ran rampant. Though it wasn't something I ever personally tested. For vague, unknown reasons, he didn't like my dad. And, considering the country life works on that whole next-of-kin thing, I avoided the sheriff at all costs.

The nearest town (pop.300) had a cop that Barny Fife was probably based on. Good natured, easy going, and easily fooled. The couple of occasions that I "met" him, he gave a half-hearted lecture about whatever law I happened to be breaking, told me to knock it off, and go home. Believe me, I did. As nice as he was, I didn't want to risk dealing with the county...which would bring me to the attention of the sheriff.
I married into a family that was well-known for their orneriness and scrapes with "johnny law". For the most part, there weren't any major crimes, just small, ornery stuff. Think Dukes of Hazzard. Things that, in that era, were considered harmless fun, and made good stories to tell.

It wasn't until I became older that I found some respect for the po-lice. To appreciate the job they do, and the help they provide. It was grudging, but respect nonetheless. Cops always seem so official, and stuffy. I'd never "met" one outside of their job.

Then, I stumbled across Momma Fargo's blog. Not entirely sure it was something I'd care to read. But I gave it a shot. To my surprise, I found a real, live person behind that uniform! She has a sense of humor. A heart. Scary stuff. A drastic contrast to the picture I've always had of cops. Through reading her blog, I gained a better respect for police.

Now, when I see a cop, my feelings are a bit different. I don't have that, "oh gawd, now what?" feeling. I just see a person, doing their job. One that I would never sign up for, because I couldn't handle it. And, if it's a female, I smile.


Thanks so much to Dee for participating. She rocks! Go check her out. And...NO, I didn't even pay her for the kind words...LOL. She's a sweetheart. Her blogs are fun and lively...go be a part of that here and here.

24 comments:

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
What a great idea for a series! It makes a great exchange between cops and civilians, and gets me to reflecting.

Dee, I would have been skeert of you as a girl your age--what a nerdy geek I was--but I learned a few adventurous things later!! For instance, hooky is great fun!!

Ann T.

Ms. Anthropy said...

What you really meant to say was... you haven't paid her YET! Good job, Dee.

Rae said...

Yes- Dee is wonderful! I'm checking out your blog, too. See- there Dee goes again- promoting others without even realizing it.
Thanks! And have a safe day!

Dee said...

TY for the kind words....I kept wondering if you were really talking about ME! LOL

I'm looking forward to reading the others in the series. This was a cool idea, Popo.

aLmYbNeNr said...

Haha, good one, Ms. A!
Anyhow, I truly enjoyed this guest post. I love reading about people's fascinating growing-up stories. :)

Momma Fargo said...

Ann T,

Thanks! And Dee is great!

Ms. Anthropy,

I know. She is super kind.

Rae,

Thanks for stopping in. Thanks so much to Dee for her story!

Dee,


Glad you agreed to do it. Loved your story. All the stories are different, different topics. So hope you enjoy. You are a super star!

Momma Fargo said...

aLmYbNeNr,

Glad you liked it! Dee is great! And growing up stories are fabulous! Love them, too.

~J said...

This is SO true...I swear I think of cops in a whole new light because of our Momma! <3 Great post Dee!!

Tree said...

Great guest post! I was also scared of the popo growing up...probably because I was doing things I shouldn't have been doing! LMAO

And I have to completely agree about Momma....I totally see cops in a different light after following her blog. She is honest about her job, but uses humor to pull you in. Love it!

Dee said...

Y'all are silly. I'm not all those nice words at all. Ask my ex. ROFL

Slamdunk said...

Well written post Dee and a fun idea Momma Fargo.

I think many folks' exposure to police is based on a couple of incidents--some positive and some negative. The Mrs. was the same way, until I made her associate with the Five-Os on a consistent basis and she learned they are not a half-bad bunch.

Ed said...

Nothing wrong with having some fun. Just need to have a good lookout. That's always important.

Helena said...

Hello! Glad I can make it to the party! I'm stopping in from Follow Me Tuesday and it will be great to read your stories! Excited to stop in!
I'm at AGalNeeds...At Least 2 Blogs!

I am Harriet said...

Hi there.
Stopping by via Follow me back Tuesday to say hello.
Have a great day!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/05/think-lindsay-lohan-has-personal-info-on-facebook/

Angie said...

following you from the tues blog hop. Love the blog name!

Momma Fargo said...

All,

Thanks for stopping in for Dee's post! She is awesome and a great writer. Felt like I was right there with her. That stuff about Momma, tho....not sure about that. LOL. :)

Thank you so much, Dee! You rock!

Bossy Betty said...

Loved Dee's post!!!! Thanks for posting it!

Momma Fargo said...

Bossy Betty,

You are welcome. I loved it, too.

MelissaAggie98 said...

Happy Follow Me Back Tuesday! I am now following and if you get a chance, please follow me back at http://www.mommylivingthelifeofriley.com

Have a great day!

Together We Save said...

Stopping by to say hello!!

Ally said...

Very cool :)

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

Dee's post is awesome! Love her writing style. :)
B xx

Debbie said...

I never had a dislike for cops, I was never in trouble (LMAO) No I just never got caught I should say!~!~ I ran super fast when I was a kid...lol.....I do enjoy reading your stories....

Jessica said...

You know, I think Mamma has worked the same magic on me. I mean yeah, I've mostly already come around, but now when I see the PoPo I see having to have a sense of humor, a family life .. and when I see a female officer it's like "GIRL POWERS ACTIVATED!"