Evidence 101

EVIDENCE 101...Wherever you go, there you are...







Thursday, August 3, 2017

The Vanilla Levelers

Behold the world's longest rant. Here me out if you have the patience. If not, you are one of THOSE. What is one of those? Those vanillas.

What is a vanilla leveler? It is super easy to say in stick figures, but I didn't draw any. I wrote words.

Left of center. It's funny when you think about that. The words' meaning all by themselves are just direction. But the true definition is believing and engaging in politics and having beliefs which are left of center. We don't have a center. We can't even agree on what is center. Do they mean a centrist? Where is that exactly? Show me the 12 rules of left of center. Anyone? Anyone?


Oh, but if you are right of center (which does not have a ring to it) you are the devil incarnate.

We all know this. Why? Because the left tells us so. How much right is a devil make? A smidge?

This entire post is surely guaranteed to offend some or all.

Funny thing. Sometimes I just need to unplug from all the chaos flitting around on social media. Usually that happens on the weekends.  Then I come back to Monday's shit show of some sorts.

Except it is Thursday.

Why are national concerns things we should be concerned with? And are they are really concerning to cops? Should you be concerned?

Uh. Yes. Duh.
Bad humor inserted here.

The answer is everyone. We should all be concerned that the Omaha female troopers have undergone very unusual exams prior to hiring which are discriminatory and sexually deviant in nature. Essentially these women were violated and not only reported it, but the uppers didn't care and covered it up.

We should all be concerned when one person gets discriminated against. We should all be concerned that Paris has become a hot spot for terrorist targets. We should all care if a rain forest gets burned down to the ground.

Why?

We are watchdogs. We are the levelers. The social and justice worlds (they are two separate arenas) get smoothed to median level when something goes too high above or below the line. The crowd cheers or jeers and the social justice warriors go fix it.

It's nothing new really, except we seem to take things in eensy beensy increments anymore to mean maximum deviation in that alarms go off. Is the Nebraska Patrol thing eensy beensy? No. It's huge. And that's why the police officers said something. Nothing happened except a cover up. They had to sue. Those things all fall under shocking the conscious. We thought we were past that.

The police have to be up to snuff on the latest and greatest of everything to know how the world goes around. Being an officer is not robotic and it certainly includes more than walking around enforcing laws and being present to scare people predisposed to doing crimes from doing crimes. We are expected to be even Stevens. Over the years, the expectation gets worse, but we expect it. Get it? Got it. Good.

The real world (not cop world) is much more complicated.

So why is our world so chaotic with unhappiness, unsettled persons... and discontent is running amok?

Let's look at a few things.


In the past, it was fine a small organization started out as a Christian based ministry of good. Then throw in some products for sale. Still ok. They are small. Who cares, right?

Oh, but businesses cannot have beliefs nor platforms. Right? Who said that?

We never said that. You said that. Who said that?

The HuffPo said businesses are the greatest platform for change. No kidding. They did.

We are watching businesses reframe themselves. They must conform when they are nonconforming. What do I think? I think it depends.  Sometimes in order to survive and sustain someone's livelihood, I think the person needs to separate themselves and beliefs from the business. They might need to remain vanilla in order to avoid problems, discrimination issues, or lawsuits. But again, it depends. Are you offering goods or services, and what kind?

Take Boy Scouts. They grew. They got large. Huge, actually. Now that they are a super power national organization, people are shaming them because they are Christian based. Well, duh. They started that way. Why would they lose their faith halfway between?

That's how they started out. So now we crucify them because they are religious? I'm surprised people aren't raising a stink because they are a boys org. Let's just call it the Scouts and get rid of everything they came up from the ashes for. Please.

Do you see people being excluded from other organizations? I don't think I could join several actually. I don't care. If they don't want me, I don't want them. More importantly, it doesn't interest me. If it did, I would inquire. But I am certainly not going to shout from the top of the trees that those "clubs" or orgs should change or be removed from existence. Or worse...sued so I get millions.

What about Hobby Lobby? No one cared when they were small. But now that they are big, they are under fire a lot. I see a theme here where I am using Christian organizations. There are many. Many different kinds. It's a big deal. What about others? What about Muslims? Islamic faith? Oy. The war on religion. I went there.

Well, there is a war on cops, even if the media says there isn't. Why? Because cops don't count, right? That's what they say.

We don't let people go without learning to read anymore. They need to learn or get the opportunity to learn. We don't discriminate against disabilities unless you are cops or military. We have acts to protect those in all the protected classes.

So why are we getting so many protected classes? Why do we need to be vanilla?

Let's take 4-H. Who do they exclude? Well, I need to go to the meetings and have a project. If I don't have a steer, I can't finish the pathway to the beef cattle club. I could tag along, but I don't get any points or kudos. Nor would I get money at the sale. In the least, I could do an art project even if I suck.

What about Farmers of America? Business Leaders Orgs. Or Law Enforcement Orgs. You can't join all of them. You have to be one. Maybe if you tell them you identify as one, they will let you in. Except the cops. They are mean.

I can't get food stamps because I'm not that poor. I am mandated to file with the IRS and we have military drafts. Now that includes women. Oh those are not what everyone is talking about you say.

Well, how about LGBT? I do pick up the fight for equal rights. I have many friends who are LGBT. Love them dearly. But they never invite me to watch them in drag shows. I don't get invited to their parties at their homes around here. Events? Nope. Maybe they are unsure of me as a friend. Or maybe that is a part of their lives they do not wish to include me in.  I don't know. Or, maybe they don't want to introduce their straight friend. I'm just Fargo. You don't have to "adjective" me. I would say it is geographical. Why? Because I never felt excluded by my gay friends in Wyoming like I do here. Friends for life. Through and through. Not just fair-weather or "depends upon" the time, day, event. But just because I am comfortable and want to be included, doesn't mean they do. Or anyone else. This goes for anyone.

But what I am saying is everything does not include everyone. And it's Ok. Embrace our differences, but don't force oranges to always be with apples. Sometimes they want to be exclusive. Maybe only when you put in pineapple and grapes, then add whipped cream. Only then does it feel right.

Nope. Nope. The justice warriors say it is not OK.

What about the Elks, Masons, Rotaries, etc.? Some include women, some don't. Some used to be men only but now include women. What about Tuesday clubs? What about Women's orgs.? Oh wait, it's ok to have girly orgs who exclude all men because men are bad, and have excluded women for years. Paybacks. It's not me, it's you.

What about fat people? They get discriminated against. I have to be a certain age to join AARP. Nope they don't count.

Why is one issue different than another? Because you can change one and not the other? So you can't change your race, sexual preferences, or your age, but you can change your religion or your fatness. You can change your gender now too.

Remember when the only people discriminated in the business world or in public were those with tattoos? Or nose piercings? Or colored hair?

Oh, those are dumb examples, you say.

I don't think I could join the Black Panthers. I'm sure even if I said I identify as black, it would not work. I would feel out of place going into a Greek church or a bar mitzvah. Oh, it's not about how you feel. It's about whether you could go. What if I showed up to a Buddist temple? Don't I have to abide by rules and etiquette? There are still excluded areas. Oh, now it's a religious thing. Those don't count or only those religious exclusions count?

Make up your mind.

It's really about any cause or thing people decide to raise a ruckus about. Tread lightly. You might be under fire. you might be labeled because of one little thing you did or said or aligned yourself with.

You know what happens? People go where they are welcome and then instead of the old days where you felt like you belonged, you exclude. That's the perception. Does that make any sense? It's not fair anymore.

Things change. Things develop. But how did we get to a place where it is so overbearingly sensitive and everything has to be vanilla. Now someone will say using the word vanilla is a white thing. Really. Really. You go there?

I don't want everything to be vanilla. I like colors. I love various cultures. You know what I miss about the west? Indians and Mexicans. Don't scoff. It's true. Indiana has a lot of diversity, especially in the big cities, but I miss the cultures I grew up with. In the four years I have been here, I have met or even seen zero Native Americans. There are two Mexicans in my life here: in this geographical area. Now with these absences, I have learned a lot about other cultures. Why? Because I have been exposed to many other cultures.

But I long for the wilderness. I like to be in the remote country with no interference from people. I would love to run into a grizzly bear again on a hiking trail or see a wolf go after my chickens. I even long to hit a rattlesnake over the head with a shovel. Ok. Ok. Maybe I am going too far left of center. No pun intended.

It's still OK to make fun of sea legs, flatlanders, landlubbers, or mountain people right? Or put them in those categories?

Let's get off the sad train and go back to the vanilla levelers. So if you voted for Trump, you are despicable and automatically endorse all that is bad in the world. But if you voted for Hillary, you get a pass. How does this go? 

Not once did I look at my dearest Democrat friends and think they endorsed adultery, lies, or scandal because of their vote or allegiance to the Clintons. I think people are missing a great deal about the world and a great deal about each other. People vote for the negative effect. People also vote for the lesser of two evils or even take one thing from a candidate and go with it, even if the other things are not appealing.

Or maybe one candidate is so horrible in their mind, they will vote for the other even if that person isn't great either. Or maybe there is one great thing that raises that candidate up and it means a livelihood change or rock the boat type of issue. Or we think lesser of two evils. There are so many ratios and scenarios to analyze the behavior of the voters. You really can't lump it into condemning that person. But what has happened? Us versus them. It's stupid. And people are losing their shit over things.

The latest loss of shit is the DOJ looking at removing affirmative action. Oh geez we are going backwards, you say. Really? Do you ever stop and think those rules or acts are no longer needed? That we have come a long way and need to take things like that off the books because we now have a federal law and business practices which trump all the movements and rights they had to implement back in 40s, 50s, 60s? It doesn't give anyone a green light to discriminate. So, all you orgs and businesses with affirmative action on the books...look. You can't discriminate. Period.

Nope. People say it is because Jeff Sessions is a racist and he sees that the pendulum has swung the other way and now whites are excluded. Specifically, white males. Actually, they are, but that is beside the point. Well, it certainly feels wrong to be white right now.

I am beginning to think that we are no longer allowed to embrace our differences, but we are all supposed to conform. We are all supposed to be vanilla. See. It WAS a white thing.

You did it to yourselves.



4 comments:

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
---Never fear...I am NOT one of THOSE (but I do like vanilla ice cream, soda and milkshakes, so don't hate me)...lol.
---Any rules that seem to pertain to politics when it comes to left or right boil down to the NO RULES THERE option.
-Many of them can't tell the difference between their butts and a hole in the damn ground.
---You're 100% correct that we SHOULD be pretty effin concerned about a lot of things that are being shoved under too many rugs these days...like the IMPORTANT things (and not all the media fluff).
---Yeah, it's true that society seems to be settling for more mediocrity rather than more excellence.
---LOL the TIMMY meme makes too much sense!
---The thing with businesses (like society itself) is that they're getting a terminal case of "thin-skinitits".
Everyone smacks down everyone else for the least little thing and they make mountains out of falsely-biased molehills.
---If these fringe groups want inclusion, DON'T take away from the established brands...tell 'em to "go create your own business, club, or organization, dumbass!"
---It becomes a case of NATURAL inclusion versus FORCED inclusion, and that's not good for either side of an argument.
---Yes, society in general has done way too much to itself, and when it comes time to pay for the rental hall, they'll still bitch a fit about the cost...makes no sense.
But, positive change WILL come. Everything that goes around comes (back) around, right?
We can hope so.

Very good post/rant.
Plenty of thought-provoking commentary.

Roll safe down there, Kiddo.

Coffeypot said...

I am not one of those white supremacist, they are as wrong as BLM's. But I am vanilla and proud of it. Over the years, and with advanced age, I have changed some of my beliefs and thought processes, but I am still vanilla... and proud of it.

Momma Fargo said...

Bob G...I am with you on positive change will come. I'm sure of it. Maybe we have to go in deficit to climb our way back up to the median line.

Coffeypot, I have changed my ways and views over many years as well. We all adjust to things. I never forced anyone to believe as I do nor expected it in return. I think what alarms me is the media message is moving away from celebrating and rejoicing our differences and cultures to "let's all be the same and think alike". I don't like that. That's what I was trying to say. The extremists suck. Unfortunately, they are there. We have to deal accordingly with each situation that arises from them.

Cheryl said...

WOW...I could go on and on but I will do my best to keep my ramble short-ish. I recognize my shortish is other people's longish.

I just read a newspaper article this morning about the Nebraska female officers being subjected to pelvic exams. I am confused. WHY?? What is the purpose? It seems like such a violation, I can't understand how and why it was ever done or ever tolerated.

As far the current trend of divisiveness. You just can't win. As Bob G. pointed out there seems to be more than a little thin-skinness as well. I like a lot of the points Bob G. made.

As you pointed out in your post, even groups that were founded on certain perimeters such as religion or gender such as the Boy Scouts, are routinely being called into question for not redefining their model. There have been a number of troops that have been embroiled in legal battles in both Federal ans State courts over letting girls, gays and transgenders in either leadership or membership rolls. The litigation continues.

So therein lies the problem of when is a group, organization, or company allowed to define it's structure (providing it's legal) and function on their core beliefs? (even if their core beliefs run counter to someone elses)

Does everything that we don't agree with become in our mind discriminating or offensive. Evidently to many that is the case.

Take, for example your reference to fat people. Yes, there is a bias against obesity. Discrimination abounds but then the pendulum swings too far. The nightly news had a segment yesterday (think is was yesterday) that doctors are being reprimanded (even dismissed) over allegations of being rude, insensitive and offensive when treating or speaking to obese patients. I personally know of a doctor that was sent to sensitivity training and later was dismissed because he frequently told people that they needed to lose weight. I gather the delivery wasn't soft enough not to offend. The point is that even in the case of treating a person for a condition relating to weight you have to be very careful as not to offend by telling them that their condition is a result of their weight. According to the segment this is fat-shaming.

I think you nailed it when you say, "It's about any cause or thing people decide to raise a ruckus about. Tread lightly."

I like all your examples. AARP, Black Panthers, Greek Church etc. Not every group, organization, church, company will necessarily be open to complete diversity but that doesn't necessarily mean they are discriminatory as much as exclusionary. Not the same thing at all.

It seems to have gotten very complicated. When does accepting diversity align with recognizing differences and people being OK that.
Can't there be times that "different strokes for different folks" be considered without accusations and finger pointing...and gawd forbid someone being offended.